Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Beautiful Bloody Nose

Jumpin' Puddles Smiling Spinning 'round and 'round Holding hands The whole world a blur But you are standing Soaked Completely drenched No rubber boots Running in Want to erupt from a shell Wind in and outdoor smell of your hair I hit as fast as I could With my nose Hopping into puddles Completely drenched Soaked With no boots on And I get nosebleed But I always get up And I get nosebleed But I always get up (Loose English Translation of Icelandic Band Sigur Ros' song Hoppipolla)


Oh to be young again.... Sounds rather silly for a sixteen year old to say that, but think about it. In our culture we are bombarded with the troubles of this world, be it terrorism, false representation, random murder, drugs, sex, robbery, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, genocide, disease, starvation, tsunamis, the list goes on and on. We may not personally experience some of these horrors, but we hear about them.


Sometimes I wish I could be a small child again, the small child that ran around the back yard pretending I was Tarzan (I wanted to be Tarzan because he could fly through the trees). I wish I still jumped around in puddles with no rubber boots. I wish I could find joy and excitement in just the way everything smells on a cold day outside. I wish I could get right back up after getting hurt. As we've grown older we have stopped appreciating small things. Everything has to be big and fancy, full of lights! We find it hard to look at a rain puddle and think what a perfect way to get wet, instead we think, "Where is the easiest way to get around this puddle, so I don't ruin my shoes." As we've grown older we nurse our hurts, we hold onto our grudges. We stopped remembering that while it hurts for the moment, getting up and ridding ourselves of the pain means we get to play more! You can't jump in puddles sitting down crying over your bloody nose. Wipe it off on your sleeve, the water will wash it away!

No comments: